My struggle was always clean eating. As I’ve mentioned before, I did not understand what was healthy, what wasn’t. As a swimmer, we always ate mountains of pasta and carbs. When I stopped swimming, I realized I had lots to learn!
It is very important when exercising and trying to lose weight that you eat 6 small meals per day. This helps you to keep your blood sugar levels steady. It also helps you body maintain its muscle mass and fuels your body for your daily activities. Always eat breakfast within 1 hour of rising! And more importantly ALWAYS EAT BREAKFAST! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It starts your metabolism and gets your body ready for the activities you have to do during the day. If you are not losing weight it could be because you are not eating a healthy breakfast with complex carbs and protein. Also, make sure you always pair complex carbs and protein at every meal.
I recommend Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean Recharged Book! She really explains the entire history and science behind eating clean and why you should pair your foods strategically together to get the results that you want! For those of you who know nothing about the Eat Clean lifestyle, here are the basic principles of the diet.
HERE ARE THE EAT CLEAN PRINCIPLES:
- Eat more. Eat six small meals each day. Space out two-and-a half to three-hour intervals. Protein and complex carb at each meal with a big glass of water!
- Eat breakfast everyday, within an hour of rising.
- Make your last meal 3 hours before bed. This one is personally very hard for me, but so far this week I haven’t had my 3rd snack and I’m not starving!
- Eat a combination of lean protein and complex carbohydrates at each meal.
- Eat sufficient healthy fats every day. This is a huge struggle for me. I was eating too many nuts and nut butter!
- Drink two to three liters of water each day. Spice it up with some lemon, limes, cucumbers or strawberries so you don’t get bored.
- Carry a cooler packed with Clean foods each day. I always have water and healthy snacks with me so I don’t get tempted with fast food!
- Depend on fresh fruit and vegetables for fiber, vitamins, nutrients and enzymes.
- Adhere to proper portion sizes.
- Eat only foods that have not been overly processed or doused in chemicals, saturated and trans fats and/or toxins.
If you don’t know what the ingredient is, don’t eat it!
- Tomato + Mozzarella Salad
- Microgreen Salad – Ultimate Reset Phase 1
- Quinoa Salad – Ultimate Reset Phase 1
- Cucumber & Tomato Salad – Ultimate Reset Phase 2
- Asian Cabbage Salad – Ultimate Reset Phase 3
- Spinach Salad – Ultimate Reset Phase 3
- Creamy Chicken Salad
- Cucumber Greek Salad with Chicken
- Grilled Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Chicken Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing
- Seared Tuna Salad
- Avocado Egg Salad
- California Avocado Toast
- Turkey Burger with Lettuce, Tomato, and Avocado
- Turkey Pesto Wrap
- Chicken Caprese
- Chicken Sausage, Pasta, and Veggies
- Pico de Gallo Chicken
- Panko Crusted Stuffed Chicken
- Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli and Chicken
- Italian Baked Chicken Breast
- Tomato, Basil & Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Key West Grilled Chicken
- California Grilled Chicken
- One-Pot Garlic Chicken Thighs with Pasta and Broccoli
- Shrimp Stir-Fry
- Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp
- Seared Tuna with Pumpkin Seed Sauce and Veggies
- Marinated Seared Tuna
- Sheet Pan Shrimp and Veggies
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan
- Southwestern Veggie Taco – Ultimate Reset Phase 1
- Roasted Fennel Bulb – Ultimate Reset Phase 3
- Whole Wheat Pasta Primavera
- Zucchini Noodles with Pesto, Tomatoes, and Parmesan
SIDES / VEGGIES
- Stir-Fried Veggies – Ultimate Reset Phase 1
- Roasted Asparagus with Slivered Almonds – Ultimate Reset Phase 2
- Pinto Beans and Rice – Ultimate Reset Phase 2
- Garlic Veggies – Ultimate Reset Phase 3
- Roasted Veggies – Ultimate Reset Phase 3
- Herbed Quinoa
- Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Sweet Potato Fries
DRESSINGS + CONDIMENTS
APPETIZERS / SNACKS
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Shakeology
- My favorite! Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Banana
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Shakeology
- Apple Pie Shakeology
- Strawberry Banana Shakeology
- Samoa Shakeology
- Cinnamon Roll Shakeology
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Shakeology
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Shakeology Bark
- ShakeO Balls