A clean version of mac and cheese is alright in my book!!! This recipe is from the cookbook, Fixate.
- 4 oz. dry whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 4 tsp organic coconut oil (or organic grass-fed butter)
- 2 Tbsp unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken breasts
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Melt butter or oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minutes, or until brown (don’t let it burn).
- Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 2-3 minutes, or until melted.
- Add macaroni, chicken, broccoli, salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute, or until heated through.
- Serve immediately.