I absolutely loved this dish! I am not usually one to order eggplant parm at the local Italian restaurant but I imagine it is very similar to the one I made! Except my version is healthier!! What what!! 🙂
Fixers: 1 blue, 1 yellow (pasta), 1 green
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds (12-14 slices)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- cooking oil spray
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- basil leaves
- Pat dry the cut eggplant pieces with a paper towel. Spread out on baking sheet. Lightly season with salt.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs.
- In another medium bowl, combine the panko, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Dip one slice of eggplant into the eggs, coating both sides and then press ONE side into the breadcrumb mixture. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the eggplant slices well with cooking oil and bake until the eggplant is soft and the crust is crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and spoon a heaping tablespoon of sauce on each, followed by a slice of mozzarella.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil and serve.
I served with a side of whole wheat pasta!! Delicious!